I came across something online a short while ago that answers a whole lot of "omg wtf?" style questions I have had about certain persons/people of late.
There is an explanation to completely bizarre behaviour!
It's called HISTRIONIC PERSONALITY DISORDER.
Allow me to elaborate:-
"Histrionic personality disorder is marked by an insatiable attention-seeking, a great emotionality, a provocative and flirtatious behavior and a false sense of intimacy in relationships when in reality there is very little. Most histrionic personality types are women who have not gone beyond the infantile stage and thus enact the role of both child and woman. Often the histrionic personality has great social skills and a hyper alertness to others so that she can decide how to manipulate them in order that she can be the center of attention, outside of which she is very uncomfortable. By being seductive, often exhibiting overt sexual behavior or flirtatious skills, her goal of making the object of her focus dependent on her is secured through histrionic exaggeration."
- Info from http://www.alwaysyourchoice.org/
Let's take a more detailed look:-
- Uncomfortable not being the centre of attention... so, this could be the type of person, for example, who might well do her best to prevent any other girls who are particularly liked by guys from being around. Makes sense...
- Excessively flirtacious behaviour... I suppose that would be someone who doesn't even flirt selectively, but who flirts for attention constantly with anyone - guy or girl! Sexual behaviour... yep. Check.
- Child and woman - so someone who openly admits to behaving like a big kid at times and can switch from behaving like a child to behaving like a woman in literally seconds.
- Great social skills...definitely makes sense.
- Always hyper alert to others.... so I suppose that would fit the bill of, say, someone who openly talks about how alter she is of others would definitely not be able to argue fitting this bill.
Other signs of Histrionic Personality Disorder, according to my research, include:-
- Rapid shift in emotions/mood. So... I guess someone going from your friend to "omg, die" in the matter of seconds without you having said anything would fit that bill.
- Is likely to threaten, attempt or claim to have attempted or thought about suicide.
- Begins a lot of projects without finishing them... so deciding for example that "don't want to do this this week"
- Makes lots of rash decisions... Like closing venues when attention/audiences don't turn up.. switching commitments on or off at a moment's notice.. yada yada.
- Excessive sensitity to criticism or disapproval. Nuff said!
- Act very dramatically as though performing before an audience with exaggerated emotions and expressions, yet appears to lack sincerity at times. Hmm... certainly familiar.
- Constantly seeking reassurance.
Wow.... this explains a lot actually. If someone in particular is exhibiting all of the above, then methinks there's a good chance this is exactly what the issue is.
And you know what, people can't really help personality disorders. It's not something she's chosen, I am sure. Which makes me feel a little sorry for her and like I really shouldn't overthink said actions.
So... that solves that little mystery!!!