Thursday, September 23, 2010

Life is too Short

Today I found out that a Second Life blogger I was very fond of passed away. My post on that is on Pixel Scoop.

It's really, really devastating and it's been playing on my mind all day. It just got me thinking... life is too, too short. This is something my Mother used to say to me, but when you're a stubborn teenager who thinks themselves invincible, the idea of life being too short is ludicrous.

She used to tell me to end every conversation with people the way I would end it if it were the last time I would ever speak to them. That's a habit I, unfortunately, have not developed.

We knew my Mother was dying, so I had the ability to spend those last hours with her and was able to say the things you think you might say in a last conversation... though what's surprising is how fewof the words you would expect to appear, simply do not.

It's a habit I should get into though. Even people I've disagreed with.... fought with... disliked at times.... I really should be putting things right in some cases. Not always as easy as it sounds though, right.

If I followed my Mother's logic, I would take each person in my life and ask myself, "If I found out this person had passed tomorrow, would I kick myself over and over for things I said or didn't say?" And if the answer is yes... then I should be putting it right.

Not always possible... granted. But I'm going to make a start at least with a former good friend of mine. He slept with my girlfriend (the girl I lived with a few year ago) and that was the end of our friendship. I didn't speak to him for years. I saw him at a reunion a couple of months ago and when he offered me a drink I told him to "F**k off." I want to put that right. I've moved on since then, my ex gf has and so has he. While we might not ever be good friends again, I would like to accept the apologies he has presented so many times. Everyone makes mistakes. So I'm gonna hunt his number down from a friend, call him and arrange a drink.

I would like to say I will make my way through a whole list of people I should "fix things," with, but some wouldn't want to hear from me and with some,it's just unfeasible.

But that doesn't stop me making a start, does it?

:)

2 comments:

Sunflower said...

I always have this sense that life is so fragile & unpredictable. When I meet up with someone I haven't seen in awhile I wonder if we might have the chance to meet again in future, because you never know... something might happen (to either of us) and -- boom! that's it. Makes me grateful for the time that I do have with them.

Josue Habana said...

Well said, Sunflower. :)