Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Right Words

I'm a word guy - I mean I like words. I loev to write, I love to read. The power of the spoken and written word is, for me, unprescedented.

But I'ev come a cropper in the word stakes when it comes to explaining to my other half how much she means to me. I've told people in the past that I can't stop thinking about them (and it has been completely true at the time I've said it). So while it's true this time too, I don't want to say that. I don't want to regurgitate lines I have used in the past. It's cheesy, cliched and... well... this is unlike anything from the past.

I was laying beside Chloe in bed last night when I told her I loved her. She told me the same back and I asked if she ever got tired of hearing that from me.

"From you? Never!" she giggled.

"It's an overused line isn't it?"

"Yes," she concurred, "But it's the most beautiful sentence in the world when it's used right."

And she's spot on with that assessment. I don't need to beat myself up abuot not being able to describe how I feel to her, to tell her how even my fingertips tingle when she kisses me and I'm subject to random bouts of thinking into a future we haven't arrived yet.

She knows how much she means to me. She can tell by the way I hold her as though she's the last person left on the planet. She can tell by how my lips dance across hers when I kiss her, by how my hands stroke her skin and how my heart beats in time with her breathing when she rests her head on my chest.

Some things don't need words. So I will refrain from using the lines we've all heard before and say nothing other than this:

"It's real."

No comments: