Monday, May 24, 2010

Simon Monjack Found Dead

The husband of the late Brittany Murphy (incredibly talented actress who died at a very young age just 5 months ago) has been found dead.

It's tragic. Reports suggest it was a heart attack but would it be fair to suggest that it was "broken heart?"

And here's the question for me. The proverbial 'broken heart,' is something we talk about a lot. But is it more than just a turn of phrase? Is it actually a very real syndrome?

Ok, ok, so I can hear the scientists tutting and reaffirming that a break up can cause psychological stress, which in turn can make you physically ill but I am sure many scientists would argue that broken heartedness is not a physical syndrome.

Me? I disagree. I think it's a very real and definitely physical thing. If you have such a bond and such a connection with someone and you really have dedicated your whole life to being with them - and suddenly they're gone - how could that possibly not cause a physical syndrome of some sort?

My Father died when I was 5. Nineteen years on, my Mother died of cancer. She swore it was her broken heart, though:

"You and your sister are old enough to take care of yourself now. Maybe the old broken heart is finally giving up."

I should research the stats really - life expectancy after a spouse dies.

It reaffirms for me the fact that some people are just meant to be together and that upsetting it for whatever reason really can literally break hearts...

No comments: