Friday, May 7, 2010

Pet Peeves

I've come to realise that certain little things irritate me to abnormal levels. I know, I'm a freak.

And they don't just make me grumble... they actually wind me up. And here they are:

1. People stopping in the middle of the street. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? Why would you just stop dead in the middle of a packed out street or (even worsE) shopping centre? Even more annoying when people do it at the bottom of escaltors or in front of store entrances. It's either inconsiderate or stupid - or a dangerous combination of the two.

2. Apostrophes in plurals. If you eat more than one pizza, you eat pizzas. You do not eat 'pizza's!' Stop it, stop it, stop it!

3. David Cameron's face. Enough said. The Conservative leader is looking likely to be Prime Minister here for the next five years and there simply are not enough hallucinogenic drugs on the planet to make that ever seem like a good thing.

4. Stereotyping. I work with some teenage lads who are all recently out of juvenile detention. They're troubled, no doubt. I run slam poetry workshops with them and it's when they get to writing and performing their stuff you can really see how frustrated so many of them are with the fact that they are more often referred to in terms of statistics, or as just another yob, or hoodie. People automatically assume that because they have been inside once, they must therefore permanently be bad people. If you ask me, trouble is something you get into. It isn't something you are. The same applies to any form of stereotyping or judging people before speaking to them.

5. People who listen to their music without their ear phones while out in public. Ok, so you have an iPhone. Great. Me too. But mine came with EAR PHONES!! Just because you want to listen to dodgy drum and bass in a fucking shop in the middle of the afternoon does not mean the rest of the world does!!!


Anyway. It's Friday. The sun is shining. And in spite of the fact that David 'annoying face' Cameron looks likely to be becoming Prime Minister, the world is still good. Though it would be better were David Cameron not a politician, for sure. Grrr. I do not like that man.

Anyway, as I was saying. The sun is shining. Tonight I am heading to the cinema, my son having requested 'movie night'. We're going to go watch (for the third time) 'How to Train Your Dragon.' My boy rather likes that film.... I think I secretly like it more!!!

No comments: