Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Was Wrong About Marriage

I’ve long stated that I don’t see the point in marriage for people who are not religious. I’m personally not and, as such, I have insisted that it won’t ever happen for me. In fact, any time I have previously been involved in a long term relationship, it’s something I have been very open about. After all, if someone you’re with wants and desires something as big as marriage and you don’t, you simply have to be honest.


But I’ve been rethinking that stance a lot of late and the more I think about it, the more I appreciate actually what a beautiful institution it can be – when it’s properly thought out and for all the right reasons of course.

In fact... here’s something you won’t hear me say every single day.

I was wrong about marriage.

Yep, I was wrong.

I’ve referred to it time and time again as “unnecessary,” or as a “contract on a relationship.” But the more I consider this institution, the more I actually think that it is the ultimate declaration of love and devotion that two people can give to one another. I still maintain that it should never be about making a statement to anyone else. But for those two people it is, without doubt, the most beautiful way to say,

“I want us to walk the same path forever.”


And that right there is exquisite.

No comments: