Sunday, June 6, 2010

Funny Thing, Life....

So, it's with permission that I divulge what I am about to divulge about Chloe. For anyone not familiar with the name, Chloe is a girl I have known for a number of years, though recently started a relationship with.

One thing I haven't mentioned on here is that Chloe has never previously had a relationship with a man. She's had several relationships, (one of which was super long term) with women and, prior to me, said she simply wasn't interested in men. That's fine... my arrogance and ego allows me to take that as a super compliment lol.

It's something of a lifestyle jump, to come out of a long term lesbian relationship and find yourself soon after in a relatinship with someone who is not only male but is also the only parent of a somewhat smart 6 year old. She loves my son and he loves her but the lifestyle switch is massive.

I guess I sort of let that slip by me and when, on Friday, Chloe told me "I think we need a couple of weeks worth of headspace," I was a bit taken aback.

"Head space? Umm... have a I pissed you off?"

"No, Adam. This is just moving at a really fast pace and it was only a few months ago that I was with a woman I thought I'd spend the rest of my life with."

"I see."

"You're upset," she observed.

"No. Down. I don't know what to say."

"Just say that you're ok with me taking a couple of weeks. It's not over. I just need to adjust. I'm falling in love with you and I absolutely adore your son but this is such a big change. I just need some space to adjust. Please?"

"Ok. I understand."

"So I'll see you when you're back from Toronto?"

"You bet."

I do understand, for the record. The lifestyle change hasn't been anywhere near as significant for me. Some of her friends have been a little off with her for getting involved with a guy and the dynamic has changed in her group of friends too. It's a much trickier situation for her than it is for me.

So I'm doing as requested and offering headspace. :) But for the record, Chlo... I'll be on your doorstep this time next week :P

xx

No comments: