Wednesday, April 20, 2011

For my Wife to Be

My Dearest Chloe,

The first moment I realised that I was in love with you, you were laughing hysterically at arguably the worst TV show in the history of TV shows and had a dollop of Ben and Jerry's on your nose. It occurred to me in that moment that I wanted to share bad TV shows and messy tubs of Ben and Jerry's with you for as long as you would let me. And I realised in that moment that my feelings for you were irreversible in their entirety and that I was actually rather happy about it.

It was, of course, a couple of months later before I actually said those words to you. Ever cautious, I suppose... ever reluctant to commit.

That was then. And now, in just over two weeks, you will become my wife. You are carrying my baby girl. We're in the process of making you my son's legal Mother. That's not just "commitment." It's the complete integration of our lives, permanently. And it's the most exciting thing that's happened for us.

I fall in love with you every single day. Every time I wake up and start the day seeing your face, I fall in love with you, further than I did the morning before.

I love our three times weekly bike rides, our weekend morning runs, our Wii Fit sessions, our evenings spent cooking together, our board game sessions with our little boy, the quiet half an hour we spend before bed every night.... I love kissing you hello when we both get back home from work... I love our life together.

Chloe, I can't promise you that I won't say stupid things from time to time, that I won't do stupid things, that I won't annoy you. But what I can promise you is this:-

- I will never look at or touch another woman romantically for as long as we live.

- I will consider how every action I take and every word I say will affect you.

- I will love you unconditionally.

- I will always, always respect you.

- I will work hard for you and for our children.

- I will kiss you every single morning.

- I will always tell you how I am feeling.

- I will hide nothing from you.

- I will never stop being amazed by you.


Being with you has made me feel like me again. Being with you has made me smile uncontrollably, laugh out loud and appreciate everything about my life.

I'll never take you for granted, Chloe. I'm not a perfect man (no shit, right? lol) and I will not be a perfect husband. But I will be a good and loyal husband until I draw my last breath.

This is how it's meant to feel...

All my love, until the day I die,

Your husband to be,

Adam xxxx

No comments: