Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Little Prince and Tiny Princess


My son is 7 and my daughter is not even 3 weeks old yet. So needless to say, I have been a busy fellow lately. But last night when I got ten minutes of silence before I went to bed I actually realised how much I missed their noise. The rush of the day, the laughing, the crying… the general busy nature of a day with so much to be done.

At the risk of sounding like every other Father on the planet, my little girl is the most beautiful little girl in the world. She has these tiny little fingers and minuscule little toes. She has my wife’s cute little nose and a way of looking entirely confused when she first wakes up. She has this incredible little smile that makes the 2am, 4am and 5:30am wake up calls all perfectly ok. Because sleep isn’t anywhere near as satisfying at watching her smile at me.

From the very first second I held her, I knew I would give anything for her happiness.

She’s developing this little personality. Personally, I think she’s going to be absolutely hilarious, charming, intelligent and utterly creative. But I would say that, wouldn’t I?

Honestly, I don’t wish for personality traits as much as I wish for her to just be happy. I don’t want that little tiny smile to disappear ever.

My boy is a little Gentleman in the making. He has so many characteristics that people say are so much like mine. At 7, he’s into pretty much what every little boy is into – football, climbing trees, running around, video games… But he’s also got an abundance of hobbies that few of his friends have. He loves to write. He’s been a keen writer of rhymes for a couple of years now and more recently has taken to writing little stories to tell his new baby sister.

He’s not always had it easy. I didn’t know he existed until he was four. At the time he was living in Russia with his Mother (a wonderful, beautiful and intelligent Russian woman I had a relationship with while I was at University). Naturally, when I found out about him and it was confirmed that he was indeed mine (the tests only put on paper what I knew the second I laid my eyes on the boy), I wanted to see more of him. His Mother agreed to come and live in the UK and he and I developed an amazing relationship, his English progressed to native level quickly (it’s so easy for them so young). Unfortunately, almost 2 years ago now, his Mother lost her life. That’s a tough shout for a little boy of 5 to deal with and he suffered terribly.

But what came out the other side was a boy with a real sense of gratitude for life, an appreciation of the good things life has to offer him and a truly remarkable way of handling grief.

He’s a Gentleman, he’s so smart and he’s really rather witty. Cheeky, at times, but aren’t all little boys?
Right now, my son is starting his lessons at school. My Daughter is asleep (though probably not for long) and the place is quiet.

Too quiet.

The chaos is, of course, chaotic. But the silence is just a period of waiting for the chaos to begin again. Because that’s our life and we all love it xx

1 comment:

Skylar Smythe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.