Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Things I Should Say Every Single Day

I was running late this morning. I jetted out of the house with a slice of toast hanging out of my mouth. As I got into the car, I received a text from Chloe:

"Here's the kiss you didn't have time for xxxxxxx"

I got out of the car, went back into the house and kissed my wife. Because I should never be in too much of a rush to do it.

My Mother used to tell me day in, day out that I should consider every single goodbye as the last, even just the goodbye I uttered as a teenager leaving the house to go to school every morning. She did that. As we were growing up, it was part of our morning routine. Mum would tell my sister and me how much she loved us over breakfast and she'd kiss us before she left for work. Every single day, without fail and (much to my horror as a sulky teen) regardless of whether we had friends around!

Yes, I was late this morning. But it was a small price to pay for a proper morning goodbye.

I will never be in too much of a rush to kiss my love goodbye in the morning. And it's not just the goodbyes I'm sometimes guilty of cutting corners on. There are so many things I should say every single day that I don't.

So, Chloe, my wife, my soulmate, my purpose, here are the things I should make the time to tell you every single day, because these are the definition of truth:

I know nothing truer than my love for you and our children. 

I still take the time every single morning to watch you as you wake up. In that state of half-sleepiness, you are at your most vulnerable. And it's as you are in this state that I am reminded of how much I love you and how much I live to protect you.

You are sexy. You are so, so beautiful to me and become more so with every single day that passes.

You're the funniest person I know.

You're the most creative person I know.

You're one of the most intelligent people I've ever had in my life.

You're driven, ambitious and that is the most admirable quality for a woman to have.

You are as wonderful a Mother as my own was.

I feel grateful every single day to have you in my life.

For the first time in my life, I believe I was made for someone. I was made for you and we fit.

Everything is better because you're in my life.

Chloe, I will never leave the house without kissing you again, my love xxx



No comments: